There are two things you can bank on when there’s a long weekend: traffic and a heavy police presence on the roads. At Levert, we want you to enjoy your time, kick off summer and relax. With this, please remember:
Don’t drink and drive — The same rules which govern drinking and driving also apply to driving and boating.
But also, here are some safe driving tips so that you don’t get caught this long weekend…in traffic or by police:
• To avoid the mass exodus, plan to leave earlier or later than everyone else and budget time to stop and stretch.
• Be patient and accept that what’s typically a two hour drive may be three hours (or more).
• Look for less travelled routes, listen to traffic reports before you leave and while on the road, and always have a back-up route in case of a collision or road block
• Driver fatigue can result in poor decisions and aggressive driving – only drive when well rested
• Always give emergency personnel the space they need – they may be saving a life
• Don’t drive distracted. Put your phones on “Do Not Disturb,” let your passengers select the music, and if you get hungry, eat at a rest stop.
• Leave a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you and always signal before you change lanes.
• While driving the boat, always remember to wear your life-jacket – if you don’t wear it, it won’t work
This long weekend, take care when getting to where you want to go – it’s about more than just “getting there,” it’s also about returning home safely.